WWW.INDIANPILOTSFORUM.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.INDIANPILOTSFORUM.COM

Trainee/Aviation Enthusiasts Please go to http://indianpilots.great-forum.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Turboprops

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
captbala

captbala

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-06-02

Turboprops Empty
PostSubject: Turboprops   Turboprops Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 8:34 pm

Earlier, Engines were reciprocating piston engines which were connected through crankshafts to the propellers which produced the power required for Forward movement. They moved LARGE amount of airmass with comaparatively LOW velocity giving momentum.......... Mv

Then they developed pure Jet engines, which rotating at high RPM, moved small amount of air at high velocity out of the jet exhaust (no propellers)producing Thrust with the momentum....... mV...These were Turbojet engines.

Propellers were more efficient at lower altitudes and pure jets were more efficient at High Altitudes.

Then for Medium altitudes , they made a happy compromise. They connected Jet engines to Propellers through reduction gears and resulting combination was found to be what the doctor ordered for medium altitudes. This combination is called TurboProps. So aircraft like ATR72 etc use Turbo prop which is a jet engine connected to the propellers.
Back to top Go down
Liberator

Liberator

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-06-12

Turboprops Empty
PostSubject: Turboprop Trivia   Turboprops Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 4:58 am

That was a very informative explanation on the need, operation and requirement of a Turboprop that is now synonymous with worlwide regional feeder airline operations.
In my warbird studies I had come across articles on the worlds first turboprop aircraft. A Gloster Meteor 1950s era jet fighter mounted with Two RR Trent Turboprop engines. I was wondering if any readers out there had any information about the reasons for the Meteor being the test bed or the whereabouts of the test bed aircraft?
Back to top Go down
haree

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-06-01

Turboprops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turboprops   Turboprops Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 2:24 pm

Quote :
So aircraft like ATR72 etc use Turbo prop which is a jet engine connected to the propellers.

I guess the pilots under training must understand this point before crying their guts out and pleading for an Airbus/Boeing slot.

Haree
Back to top Go down
http://www.indianaviators.com
Sponsored content

Turboprops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turboprops   Turboprops Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turboprops
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.INDIANPILOTSFORUM.COM :: KNOWLEDGE BASE :: AeroEngines-
Jump to: